Rep. Parke Wentling (R-Crawford/Erie/Lawrence/Mercer) announced today that 11 schools and one Intermediate Unit that serve the 17th Legislative District have been awarded approximately $1,850,566 in grants via the School Safety and Security Grant Program.
“The aim of these grants is to improve safety in our schools through a variety of initiatives,” said Wentling. “Educators cannot effectively teach, and students cannot effectively learn, if they don’t feel safe. That’s why these grants are so important.”
Local recipients serving students in the 17th Legislative District include:
• Commodore Perry School District, $30,990.
• Conneaut Area School District, $35,000.
• Crawford Central School District, $40,000.
• Erie County Technical School, $262,239.
• Girard School District, $454,370.
• Greenville Area School District, $468,998.
• Jamestown Area School District, $30,000.
• Mercer Area School District, $30,000.
• Northwest Tri-County Intermediate Unit 5, $403,969.
• Northwestern School District, $35,000.
• Reynolds School District, $30,000.
• Wilmington Area School District, $30,000.
The School Safety and Security Grant Program was established through Act 44 of 2018—which Wentling voted for—to provide grants to school districts, intermediate units, area vocational-technical schools, charter schools and private residential rehabilitative institutions for a wide variety of projects to improve school safety.
Eligible uses for the grants include hiring school security officers, purchasing security-related technology, completing safety and security assessments, implementing violence prevention curricula, offering counseling services for students, and creating other programs to protect students.
Representative Parke Wentling
17th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Ty McCauslin